Sunday, December 28, 2014

Experiences With Driving

It's been about a month since I've gotten my learner's permit, so I figured I should share some of my first impressions of driving with you guys. All the basics lessons still apply, like pay attention, stay focused, don't text and drive, and wear a seatbelt. But, I've learned a few things.

First, when one first starts driving, they tend to sway to the right. This is because most teenagers aren't used to being on the left side of the car and aren't properly "calibrated" for this new position.

Next, the hardest part of driving can be backing out of your own driveway. When I back out of my driveway, there are a few hazards I have to worry about. Other cars, other people, kids and pets in the street, the car parked in the street, and making sure I'm in reverse. On top of the fact that I have to put some attention to steering the car, this can be quite a hectic situation.

Finally, I've learned to know that I will make mistakes. Let's say you don't do something right during driving. The car behind you honks and you get embarrassed, stop focusing on the road, and start focusing on what just happened. The next thing you know, you're half-way out of your lane. Yeah. New drivers need to know that they're gonna make mistakes and that people around them will be considerate. This is probably the most important lesson I've learned so far that hasn't been taught in driver's ed.

I hope this helps people who recently started driving and I wish you a happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment